- One of the most important things you can do to protect your home and commercial business from flood damage is to clean your rain gutters at least once a year and extend your gutter downspouts well away from your property.
- Make sure your gutters are angled downward to ensure that the flow of water drains away from your property so that it doesn’t collect at the edge of the house only to seep back into your basement and building foundations.
- Check your downspouts for any damage and replace any broken parts.
- Firmly secure downspout extensions with ties and stakes. Even piling rocks on top of spouts on the ground will help prevent them from being separated and blown apart in high winds.
- Prevent water from pooling by ensuring that both your front and back yards are graded downward away from your home to facilitate effective drainage.
- Check your outside drains near doors and keep them clear of debris. Check outdoor and indoor basement drains to see that they are running smoothly and not blocked or covered up.
- Check your roof. If your roof shingles are damaged or missing they may allow rainwater to seep inside your property. Have a roofer make repairs and check to see if it needs to be replaced altogether. Your home insurance may exclude coverage or limit your claims if it is worn out and time to be replaced.
- Water can enter your house through your windows if they are not properly sealed. Repair any small cracks around the window and window locks and closure. If you see water coming in have a window professional examine them for repair or if need be, replacement.
- Check your sump pump for proper working order. A sump pump can quickly remove any standing water in your basement. Make certain that there is no sitting back- water. If there is backwater it may be toxic contaminated sewer water and you should call a professional to clear the blockage.
- Check for cracks on the outside walls of your property and the inside basement walls. Broken weeping tiles and water pipes can allow water to seep out and eventually make cracks in your foundation walls allowing a flood to occur. Check for water flooding around perimeter walls and drains. If you see evidence of water flooding call a professional who can fix any structural problems if necessary and seal your basement walls with waterproofing compounds.
If you are experiencing water damage flooding or water sewer backup and you need a skilled and trusted restoration company call TRAX RESTORATION Tel: 905-882-3141
Serving Toronto, GTA, Richmond Hill, Markham, Vaughan, Thornhill, Aurora, Maple & surrounding areas.
Available to take your call 24Hours a day 7 days a week.