When the fall rains come Trax Restoration gets an influx of calls for sewer backup cleanups. A sewer backup will not only create damage to your home but it is also a threat to your family’s health. Sewage contains harmful bacteria and viruses and it can cause serious diseases like Hepatitis A and Tetanus.
You can usually detect a sewer backup by a foul smell coming up from your drains and basement, and in more severe cases, sewage flooding your basement. When drains and pipes get clogged the sewage has no place to go and unless you have a backwater pump, it will come up your pipes and flood your basement.
There are many reasons a sewer backup can occur. From clogs to your pipes from grease or other contaminants, storm rain overwhelming the sewer system, root infiltration, broken sewer pipes, etc.
Steps to take if you have a sewer backup
- If you have a flooded basement by sewage you should immediately turn of the main electrical power line.
- Call the city’s Sewer Maintenance Division and inform them of the sewer backup so they can check public lines are free from blockage.
- Call a plumber to inspect the sewer line and clear it from any blockage.
- Call a sewer backup cleanup restoration company who can professionally clean and disinfect the areas that have been affected. Remember, sewage and storm water are toxic and contain harmful to health bacteria and viruses.
- Call your insurance company to start your claim process, you need to do that within 24 hours of the sewer backup.
- While waiting for the plumbing and restoration company to arrive remove any belongings and furniture that have not been soiled from the area to protect them from damage and give proper access to the restoration crew.
The sewer backup restoration process includes:
- Cleaning and decontamination of affected areas and contents
- Clearing and disinfection of drains
- Removal of any building materials, like drywall or moldings, that cannot be restored
- Disinfection and deodorization
- Cleaning and decontamination of carpets, rugs and soft furnishings
- Utilizing industrial equipment for drying the flood affected areas
- Infrared Thermal Imaging to detect water and moisture trapped within your building materials
- Odor removal
Trax Restoration is a professional emergency restoration company and is on call 24hrs 7 days a week. Their expert technicians will take decisive action and quickly begin the sewage backup cleanup to minimize further contamination. If you are experiencing a sewage backup give them a call now: 905-882-3141